Interior Minister Rehman Malik said on Saturday that a large-scale operation would be launched in parts of Gilgit-Baltistan to maintain order in the region.
Talking to the media, the minister said the operation would be launched by Gilgit-Baltistan Scouts.
He said that five terrorists involved in the Kohistan bus shooting have been arrested by law enforcement agencies. Gunmen disguised in military uniform hauled 18 Shias off buses on February 28 and shot them dead in cold blood in the usually quiet Kohistan region.
Malik said the list of identified accused would be handed over to local jirgas who, he added, would hand over the culprits to security forces. He said a peace jirga would be reinstated to restore peace in Gilgit-Baltistan.
The minister said the number of checkposts would also be increased in the area. He announced delegation of special police powers to the Rangers at par with police and Gilgit-Baltistan Scouts.
The minister rejected attribution of Kohistan incident to sectarianism. He said the Diamer and Kohistan Valley SP had been removed on demand of the residents.
Meanwhile, a private TV channel reported that Malik has ordered the interior secretary to contact the Afghan government, Guantanamo Bay authorities and Interpol to locate missing persons.
The orders were given out during Malik’s meeting with Defence of Human Rights head Amina Masood Janjua. During the meeting, Malik gave his assurance for the release of 293 missing persons. He said Interpol would be contacted while Guantanamo Bay will also be checked with the help of Pakistan Ambassador to the US, Sherry Rehman. A list of missing persons would also be sent to the Afghan Interior Ministry, said Malik.
Published Daily Times